If you've come here because you're interested in having someone spot you during this troubling season, you've made a wise choice. I am a counselor with eleven years of experience working with people who have been rocked by a giant wave and are struggling to stay above water. I also happen to know how to handle big waves because I am a class IV whitewater kayaker.
𝗕ʀᴀᴄᴇ. In whitewater kayaking, a paddler braces when they are riding on their edge and an aggressive wave or current suddenly hits. The best paddler rarely flips because they've mastered their brace from all directions and in nearly every situation (see picture below of me bracing on a wave).
From the moment we exit our mother's womb and breathe that first breath of cold air into our lungs, we are being unexpectedly thrown off our edge. By the time we are an adult, most of us have been thrown off balance quite a few times. Then - we are just learning to stay upright and - BAM! Over we go again.
One way to look at pain, loss, difficulty, and trouble is that because it's inevitable and painful, you shouldn't think about it. Another way to look at it is that because it's inevitable, we might as well use it as an opportunity to learn when trouble comes. Sometimes a "trouble wave" will be too big and it will knock you over - again and again and again. That's often the times when we really need feedback because it's hard to see in the rear-view mirror what just hit us.
Developing inner peace involves assuming that waves will hit - but becoming so good at handling them that we stay above water most of the time, and when you don't, having a contingency plan. So are you able to see the wave that's hitting you now as an opportunity to learn? What is your contingency? Would you let me help? Here's what I can do:
- Rescue - If you are drowning and feel like you are in over your head, you don't have time to waste. Let me help you now. You are meant to live in strength, freedom, empowerment, purpose, and faith, but sometimes, you just need a hand to help you get back in your cockpit again. Let me bring you out of that mentally or emotionally draining place to a more stable place where you can see straight.
- Skills - You were unequipped for this event or you wouldn't be reading this. Once we help you get back in your cockpit and oriented in the right direction, we will work together to identify and strengthen your areas needing growth, where you need a good brace. This may be in any area that left you vulnerable - whether physical, mental, emotional, relational, or spiritual. We'll equip you with a plan to build skills in those areas that will help you the next time this happens.
- Confidence - Regardless of skills, you may lack confidence due to past adverse experiences. This is actually a very common problem. I can help you process these events in your past and reprocess them using an internationally recognized treatment, leading you to a state of integration, self-acceptance, and peace.
- Tools - My goal is to fire myself. So I'm going to give you the tools you need to maintain on ongoing growth plan. These may be cognitive skills such as reframing or thought stopping, mindfulness skills such as meditation or lifestyle changes, relational skills such as assertiveness, spiritual skills such as finding your inner guide, and the list goes on.
- Convenience and flexibility : My office is located in Ellicott City MD, but our sessions will occur over a secure (HIPAA-compliant) video platform from the comfort of your home. Therefore, as long as you are in the state of Maryland, I would love to talk to you!
Reach Out : Your free consultation - and the beginning of your journey toward a renewed confidence and peace - is just a click away. You can click the "schedule an appointment" box at the bottom of this page and let me know you'd like to set up a video or phone consult, or just call. I can't wait to hear from you!